Flash player

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 21 16:56:32 MST 2006

Ok, after the thread the other day that got off on the topic of a flash
plugin, I decided to try to get one working here, and I've had no luck.  This
is on Fedora Core 5, but I have a similar problem on the couple of other
distros I've used recently.  I just never really needed flash, so I never
worried about it.

I downloaded the plugin file from the automatic installer that comes up in
firefox. It installed a .so and a .xpt file into ~/.mozilla/plugins.  If I
start up firefox and type about:plugins, it does not show the flash plugin.
I checked the permissions on the files, looked ok to me.

Next I tried copying those two files into the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins directories and also directories that had mozilla
and firefox with version numbers.  None of these got far enough to even show
the plugin in about:plugins.

I double-checked the installation instructions online and in the downloaded
file, and I can't see what I did wrong.

Any suggestions?  I tried running mozilla and firefox both, with the same
results.  I even tried running them with strace. It shows those two plugin
files being examined...