OpenSuse 10.1 VS Fedora Core 5 (split from Re: OpenSUSE 10.1)

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 14 10:48:05 MST 2006

No experience with Suse here, but I only use Fedora due to requirements for
some contract work I do.  My problems with Fedora include the update (yum)
getting confused in several ways, and the installer sometimes hanging partway
through.  The yum confusion I've seen includes it suddenly claiming there's a
syntax or other sort of error in it's list of packages (so far always fixed
by yum clean all and then rerun the update), and sometimes deciding that all
the mirrors have bad copies of the files it's trying to download.

It seems like they leave out packages for some things I might want to use,
and I have to go other places to get.

Some day, when I have lots of free time, I'm going to try more distros. I
always leave a blank partition for that purpose, but never find the time.