How to find or set "2Wire" brand wireless network key?

joe joe at tlnf.com
Sun Aug 13 09:49:58 MST 2006

.
Found part of the answer (below).

> ... how to get connected to/thru it with my dual-boot laptop
> -- either with winXP or with Linux.  WinXP shows me "connected"
> (but not accessible) with a "security-enabled" connection,
> and it asks for a "network key" ... but I don't know
> what that is or where to find it or how to set it.
>
> Is it possible to disable this security-enabled condition?
> And/or how can I find or set this "network key"?
>
> No information on this came with the new modem
> and no information on this was provided by Qwest.
>
> I've looked at the 2Wire website, http://www.2wire.com ...
> but can't find the solution there either.
>
> Where is this "network key" hidden?
>
> How can I turn the "security-enabled" condition off and back on
> again  if/when I may want to?  I'm more concerned with getting
> connected than with trying to have optimum security at this point.

While this part of the answer was well hidden on the 2Wire
website, and the terms used were not the same, and the "network
key" was not labeled as such, it was, in fact, "hidden" on the
bottom of the modem as a series of unlabeled numbers below the
serial number.  Amazing how something so simple can be made
so utterly confusing and complicated by failing to provide
a clear, simple, straightforward, step-by-step how-to.

Still don't know how to turn the "security-enabled" condition
off and on, but at least I'm connected.