Bad User! No Program for You!

Richard Wilson relw at mchsi.com
Sat Aug 12 22:27:32 MST 2006

I was in a Sun class when I heard of the following error message.  It
seems that at some point in the far past the AT&T gurus working on UNIX
put in some error messages in Latin -- they were all error messages that
you should NEVER see, but were meaningful...  The class instructor knew
Latin and had a former fellow employee call him up and ask if he could
translate the following:

Ecce! Hodie natus est pro geminus radicus!

The friend was trying to port Unix to a Burroughs mainframe (don't ask
me why!) and upon being told the translation of the message, realized
what he had done: "Behold! Unto us is born a twin to root!".  I've been
told that a few years later all the Latin error messages were removed.

Rich W