Any Sun people out there?

Kevin Brown kevin_brown at qwest.net
Fri Aug 11 23:16:06 MST 2006

> I've got a Sun Fire 420R and I can't get anything out of the serial
> console. Nothing. I've checked the cable and it talks fine to my
> ss20.
>
> Anyone with Sun knowledge have any ideas?

About Communicating With the Server
To install your server software or to diagnose problems, you need some
way to enter system commands and view system output. There are three
ways to do this.
1. Attach an ASCII character terminal, also called an alphanumeric
terminal, to serial port A.
You can attach a simple terminal (or modem line) to serial port A. The
terminal can be capable of displaying and entering alphanumeric but not
graphical data.
For instructions, see “How to Attach an Alphanumeric (ASCII) Terminal”
on page 29.
2. Establish a tip connection from another Sun system.
For information about establishing a tip connection, see “Setting Up a
tip Connection” on page 119 or the OpenBoot 3.x Command Reference
Manual, an online version of which is included with the Solaris System
Administrator AnswerBook that ships with Solaris software.

Setting Up a tip Connection
A tip connection enables you to use a remote shell window on a terminal
to display test data from a system. Serial port A (or serial port B of a
tested system) is used to establish the tip connection between the
system being tested and another Sun system monitor or TTY-type terminal.
The tip connection is used in a terminal window and provides features to
help with the OBP commands and messages.

http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/pdf/806-1078-10.pdf