Asterisk WinModem Availability

Sam Mulvey sm at vis.nu
Fri Aug 11 22:38:47 MST 2006

On Aug 11, 2006, at 4:07 PM, Derek Neighbors wrote:

> You should be able to pick up a test FXO/FXS card for about $129.
> I just don't see the winmodem as being a good way to "test"
> Asterisk.  We do a lot of Asterisk installations.  If you ask here
> whether Asterisk can do what you want, I am sure we could give you
> a valid answer.
>
> Buying a winmodem would just be throwing away money.  Analog lines
> with quality cards have fairly significant echo issues that need
> fine tuning as it is.  I suspect a winmodem would be nothing but
> frustration.  Just my two cents.

I've got a decent digium card and IP phones on the way now, and I
found a website that's willing to give you an incoming number up in
Iowa[1] if you're into that sort of thing, so I had enough to show
the folks what was what as far as replacing their fogey PBX system
with a Linux box running asterisk.

Now I'd like to get one of the them winmodem cards (or an honest to
goodness X100P card) for home playing with.  A 129$ FXO/FXS card is
about 129$ over my home telephony budget, so I'd be willing to spend
a little more time dealing with echo cancellation there.

Thanks for the info.

-Sam

[1]: http://trxtel.com/