Deru

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Wed Aug 9 21:25:25 MST 2006

Vaughn Treude wrote:
> Actually, I haven't had TOO many problems with Qwest, other than a
> rather humorous couple of service calls a couple of months ago.  But
> that's another story.
>
> One disadvantage about DSL I've encountered is that I CANNOT receive a
> fax - though I can send one. (Not that I want to do, but banks,
> businesses, realtors are stuck on this dinosaur technology.) I've told
> Qwest about that and they say there's no guarantee DSL will work with
> fax, not their problem.  I ended up signing up Send2Fax.com, which gives
> you your own toll-free fax number for nine bucks a month, and converts
> the faxes automatically to PDF files.  I'm sure you can get a better
> deal than that if you use faxes very little.  But it was worthwhile for
> me.

Fax over IP or fax over POTS? I have set up a hylafax server along with
samba (and firewall and gateway at one point) on the same linux box. Hylafax
runs a faxmodem over POTS on the same line (filtered) as the Qwest DSL
connection. Never had a problem, even with a fax appliance (separate machine
before hylafax). That's a business DSL account though.

--
-Eric 'shubes'