Deru

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Wed Aug 9 18:07:25 MST 2006

tg wrote:
> But when I start from the very first beginning having nothing,
> I have to get at least one phone line, maybe a second one if I need a fax
> line, too.

Do you need voice service? If not, just use the one line for fax if you need
that.

> Is there any solution where I can assign 2 numbers to a single line? Or what
> about having a phone and a fax on the same line -- does that work, is
> additional equipment needed?

Fax and voice is the same thing. They coexist with DSL on the same twisted
pair (wires).

> On top of that package I can get some internet service from qwest or deru or
> any other company -- am I right? So preferable I would take some kind of
> deru DSL surfer or DSL Power User.

For (high speed) internet service, you need DSL *and* an ISP. Typically
Qwest is also your ISP, but you can use another, such as Deru.

> Is there any time or volume limit, so basically are the DSL packages
> flat-rates, everything included, no additional fees?

No time or volume limit. Only what you can put through the pipe.
There usally *are* additional fees/taxes with Qwest. Good luck finding them
all out up front.

> So if I want to watch TV I have to get a package, too (again Qwest)?

They have a package called "Choice TV", which can be bundled with HSI,
especially if VDSL is available in your area.

> Sorry for this kind of questions, I recently migrated from Germany to the
> US.

No problem. Everyone goes through this once (at least).

> Is there any kind of high definition stream for free? I was told that in CA
> you can receive several channels with the right decoder/receiver hardware in
> your box.

If your TV is HD *ready* (has an HD tuner built in), you can simply connect
an antenna and pick up all the local channels in HD. They're broadcase in
HD, but the content isn't always HD.

> What are you guys out there using? I think DSL with some kind of VoIP? No
> old style phone lines (or maybe rented but unused)? Noone using fax service?

Like I said, I have VDSL for HSI and DTV. They also have an HD package
available, but half of those channels are ones I already get via my antenna.
No voice (cell only). No fax (fax, what's that? ;) ).

--
-Eric 'shubes'