funneling heat away from the inside of a box

KE7FEG eculbert at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 08:00:41 MST 2006

1500 cfm thru the case? that is almost 1/2 the volume of air of a small swamp cooler. The case is too small and doesn't have that much opening. realisticly about 300 or so cfm would be massive air movement thru there.

I have ordered one item from the following site w/satisfaction. I am NOT associated with them, just heard of them.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?UID=2006080909333005&catname=electric&keyword=EBSA

If the site doesn't 'click', shorten it to the .com and then click 'electrical' on the site and click blowers till you get there.

With the small amounts of openings in a case, probably a smaller blower would 'build resistance'.

I have a friend that lived under those conditions and never had a problem, but then his fastest cpu was an amd2600 system. He experience no heat problem. I am reasonably sure the heat problem may turn out to be a ps problem when it fails. Or the cpu cooler is marginal. A well designed system should survive swamp cooler life. Yes, I know it can get to close to 90 and humid, but humid air cools better.

An example that vividly points out humid vs dry was the 62 ford falcon we had when we came out here. It never overheated in the south where we lived for 9 years and bought it new. Moved here, had to get a bigger radiator to prevent over heating in this drier air.

I tend to think either the ps is on the way out or not cooling itself enough OR the cpu doesn't have a good quality cooler for it.

IF I was buying for that app of yours, I would get this one, but it IS your choice if you choose to buy from this site.

  50 CFM 120VAC DENKI BLOWER

For $11.98

I think, and may be wrong, that if it is fitted to the side panel somehow, it will cool that interior better than you think. All the other higher volume either don't have a picture to see what it looks like or are 230 vac which implies 3 phase not two like home 220 vac is. That IF they are 3 phase, would not work for you at all! Or cost about $2500 or so to get aps or salt river to run a 3 phase line in. Of course you could get an phase inverter for $100-200 and get the same thing off of the 2 phase 220 volt line.

JD Austin <jd at twingeckos.com> wrote: You have a few options:
Go crazy with fans inside the case.
Use electric chillers (peltiers?)
Take the cover off and put an external fan on it.

When I lived in the same conditions I did #3 :).
jd