****RE: OT: Converting Data From PostGreSQL to MySQL

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Aug 4 17:52:58 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 15:27 -0700, Gilbert T. Gutierrez, Jr. wrote:
> I am not that familiar with PostGreSQL and made a mistake in selecting it
> for this application.  I can, I am sure move the data.  The issue is the
> time it will take me.  Someone that is familiar may be able to do this
> quicker than me.  The app also has a way to export data and then re-import
> it that I may end up using, I am just not comfortable that it will export
> all data.
----
I have used both MySQL and PostgreSQL and find that both of them are
simple enough to use but I am extremely hesitant to suggest that I am
any expert at either because I know I am not.

I am confused by your statement that you made a mistake in selecting
PostgreSQL since I have found it to be versatile, fast and completely
reliable and those whom I know and trust to know these things would
heavily fall on the side of PostgreSQL over MySQL.

I have been importing from tab delimited files created by various things
like spreadsheets and older databases into PostgreSQL rather simply by
using '\copy' commands but if I were going to write a program to do
that, I would use ruby on rails and the setup might take as long or
longer than writing the program.

Craig