Minimal Firewall

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Fri Aug 4 12:27:13 MST 2006

> In article <DE027611-89AC-40A1-AF3A-5D59EB6D708F at crackpot.org> you write:
>
> There are many versions of the WRT54G.  Some are supported by
> openwrt.org and some are not.  The WRT54GL (which used to be called
> WRT54G) has 4MB Flash and 16MB RAM.  I believe the current WRT54G
> has 2MB Flash and 8MB RAM, which isn't enough to easily run Linux.

Here is the Linksys section of the OpenWRT hardware list:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware#head-6b2369a6aabba3642915213936b680fdedcffe0d

If you click on the "Supported" link in the far right column, a
description of that hardware is there.  It provides a description of the
box label and/or serial number combination that will identify a particular
model and version.  Just read through a few to quickly get the feel for
which models are better supported.

Like I said before, I knew that the WRT54GL would definately be supported
so I traded extra money for piece of mind.  I'm sure many of the others
are supported just fine but I did not want to risk a miss.  Also, the
memory capacities Dale points out are important.  The more capacity, the
more extra capability you can add.  I wanted plenty of room so the 'L' was
the right choice.

The new, least expensive models tend to be the ones with less memory and
with less mature support.  Decide what you need and want, then choose
accordingly.

Alan