Wifi Blobs

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Fri Aug 4 08:00:07 MST 2006

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 11:28:11PM -0700, Mike Garfias wrote:
> I'm surprised more people haven't picked up on this.
>
> There was some weirdness with the exploit demo.  For instance: why a
> 3rd party card in the laptop?  Why not the built in AirPort card?
> Not saying it doesn't work, or that BLOBs are a good idea.  But
> something smells fishy here.
> I've got some friends at blackhat/defcon, I'll see if they know
> anything about what happened.

I suspect they used that card because that's the driver they had an
exploit for. Can't expect them to have an exploit for every driver
(yet).

As I read in one of the several articles covering this, they chose a Mac
because the Mac people have been a bit smug about security and these
guys wanted to show that no OS is safe if you allow such drivers in the
door.

I'd like to hear what your friends have to say on the matter. Nice to
get a first hand account (well, it'd be at least second hand again by
the time I heard it).

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |