Boot problem

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Wed Aug 2 10:37:50 MST 2006

joe wrote:
> .
> One more thing in response to this suggestion:
>
>>  > Try removing hdb and try to boot. hda5 is the active partition,
>>  > or at least it was. It should boot from there even though
>>  > it is not labeled.
>>  >
>>  > Does the BIOS recognize the drive size correctly upon boot?
>
>> Yes, it did recognize both drive sizes correctly in the bios
>> before Eric disabled drive hdb in the bios (I think that is
>> what was done.)

I hope I've clarified this in my previous post.

> I thought that the point of disabling hdb in bios
> (as I believe was done yesterday) was to achieve the
> suggest, above, to "try removing hdb ..."

Yes, that was the point. However, disabling the drive in the bios
doesn't always have the same effect as disconnecting the drive.

> But if I'm remembering what happened correctly (and I may not be),
> the result was that both drives seemed to "disappear" ...

hdb disappeared (from the bios, not from knoppix) when we specified
"none" in the bios setup. hda never appeared in the summary, even with
"auto" setup.

> Now, I tend to think that this whole ordeal could be and perhaps
> should be titled: "The great LILO boot-loader disappearance mystery."

Not only LILO, but the whole hda.
Thankfully, Linux sees the drive and partitions when the BIOS doesn't!

--
-Eric 'shubes'