Boot problem

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Wed Aug 2 08:09:33 MST 2006

Let me begin by thanking Michael, Kenneth, Alan, Joseph, and Darrin for
their replies. We value everyone's input. Remember, what's right is
important, who's right is not. ;) Now on to the matter at hand.

First thing I'd do at this point (we almost did this yesterday) is
double check jumper settings, and try conventional 'master' and 'lone'
settings if CSEL was in use (as Alan and Joseph suggested).

If that doesn't solve the issue, it would be prudent to do what Darrin
and Michael have said: Get your data off the drive before trying much
(anything) else.

Given that the old drive is still accessible from linux, I would do this:
.) get a new IDE HDD of equal or larger size (I hate to say this part,
at Fry's).
.) "# dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=4096" from knoppix to copy the
entire old drive to the new one (making darn sure of your drive letters
- check with qtparted first).
.) disconnect the old drive and put it in a safe place.
.) attempt again to make the new drive bootable (if it doesn't already).
.) if previous step fails, build a new system on the new drive (the way
you really want it!), then install the old drive and copy (or dd) over
anything you want to keep from the old drive.

Joe, let me know if you'd like to talk it over.

--
-Eric 'shubes'