DMCA V2 and you (OT)

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Wed Apr 26 07:33:02 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 22:10, Technomage wrote:
> Below was typed by a friend of mine who has quite the knack for seeing trends
> detrimental to the rest of us. heeding his words is highly advisable.
>
> I suggest further that folks spread this as widely as possible (IOW, tell your
> friends, co-workers, etc. TELL ANYBODY who will listen!!!).
>

> TMH
>
> ************ from appleseed3 ************
>
>  It will be known as the Intellectual Property Protection Act of 2006. Read
> more here. (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060424-6660.html)
>
> The bottom line is, if this passes, you have no more "Fair use" rights at all.
> It's so serious in fact, that it would be hard not to be guilty of breaking
> this proposed law if you own any sort of media content. (read the article)
> This means your poor parents, or you will be going away for 10 years! per
> infraction. You like to "rip a DVD" to your laptop to save your battery life
> on a trip? Under this new legislation you'll be a criminal, and by their
> reasoning a "terrorist" too? If you're too young, they take your parents away
> in your place.
>
> This is no longer a wait, and see, if the RIAA/MPAA gets their laws thrown out
> for abuse. They're making their new laws even more hostile to consumers.
>
> I suggest a mass boycott (wikipedia) of all "Big Content" when this new law
> passes onto the books. Cancel your Cable TV, and Satellite. Tell them why
> when you cancel your service! Call up the anime redistributors, and make them
> understand that you'll buy no more anime. Tell them about the DMCAv2. Tell
> your friends, and their families. We buy no more DVDs, CDs, or anything while
> this law is on the books. If it stays on the books donate ALL of your DVDs to
> the MPAA, and ALL of your CDs to the RIAA. Even owning them puts your whole
> family at risk.TEN years in prison is not worth your latest episode of Inu
> Yasha.

It sounds like a horrible law, but some of these ideas, like shutting
"the analog hole", are completely unworkable.  Most politicians are
fools who have no idea of how technology works.  This law will be an
utter failure, and the end result will be that the government will give
up trying to control everything, and slap a tax on all recording media
and devices to pay off these parasites.  Until that time, though, lots
of good people will fall prey to the US prison industry.  One thing we
can and should do is educate everyone about Jury Nullification. (See
www.fija.org) Let's make it difficult for the government to find twelve
robots that will convict people on demand.

Vaughn