Windows virus scanner for Samba shares?

Joseph Sinclair plug-discuss at stcaz.net
Tue Apr 25 22:24:35 MST 2006

Disclosure: I am the Software Architect/IT Director/Principal Engineer for the company that produces the software described below, so I have a very definite conflict-of-interest.

I can't help with the Samba scanning, yet, but I can help with the other part of your post.

If you're looking for a Windows Anti-Virus (full spectrum anti-malware, actually), that can share updates (so you don't have to download them over the net for each machine), and can be managed easily from a common console, then you should look into Secure Resolutions Anti-CyberCrime (also called Secure Resolutions Managed Security and Secure Resolutions Anti-Virus, the marketing types wanted different names for different markets, they're all the same code, however) I'll call the software SR for short.

SR provides a manged agent that offers a Distributed Server (so the machines running it can share updates among themselves within a subnet), a single web-based console for managing all of the machines installed under a single account, automated reporting to the web console, and fully automated hands-off updates for all registered clients.  There is also a push-installer (so you can install machines without having to physically touch them), and a packaged installer you can run via user login scripts.

SR is a very good solution for a small-medium business looking for a solution to ease the IT load for managing anti-malware (anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc...).  They're a local company based in Mesa, and the tech support is very responsive.

I won't claim it's the best A/V solution out there (at the moment), but it has a feature set that's particularly, and uniquely, valuable to small and medium business environments, and the software has some really major improvements planned over the next 8-10 months that will make it even more attractive, and current users always get all available program updates, automatically, as soon as they're released.

==Joseph++