Installfest / two hours?

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Tue Apr 25 19:39:40 MST 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 06:19:54PM -0700, Michael wrote:
> Over two hours per installation? Mepis 2003.10.02 only takes me like 30
> minutes including config time.  Simply Mepis doesn't run out-of-the-box but
> it's predecessor does.

Tell someone 30 minutes and then you'd run into a snag getting X going,
or something. If someone needs help doing an install, they might like a
little walkthrough as well. Then there's loading up whatever packages
don't come with the base install. I haven't been to an installfest yet,
but I can imagine.

> My machine is circa 1997. (home grown baby!) Perhaps a copy of 2003 should be
> on hand for ancient machines! I'm trying to get one of my friends (I know
> nothing about her machine except that it is slow) to come down.... she hasn't
> gotten back with me yet.

There are several distros that are still good for older hardware. I bet
Dennis wouldn't mind having a 2003 Mepis handy, if you were to offer one
to him.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |