Windows virus scanner for Samba shares?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Apr 24 18:11:20 MST 2006

Any of you run a Windows virus scanner on your Linux box to scan Samba
shares?

If so, what do you use? Do you have commercial updates and costs?

I see clamav, F-Prot Antivirus, commercial uvscan. And I am currently
doing research. I have worked with some antivirus solutions for email
filtering. But in this case, I need to scan directories of files, which
will also probably involve extracting archives.

In addition to running anti-virus on the Linux file server, now an
off-topic/Windows question: any suggestions for anti-virus software to
install on the Windows Xp and 2000 machines themselves? My customer is
using some version of Symantec Norton antivirus.

I'd like to be able to setup the Windows boxes to share the same
downloaded signature (keep on the Linux samba server). What small office
solutions do you use?

 Jeremy C. Reed