make options

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Apr 20 23:45:39 MST 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Nathan England wrote:

> I'm also looking for some documentation that mentions something about the
> DESTDIR or prefix options when make install is run. Some places say to use
> DESTDIR, others say prefix ... ?

What software?

If it is autoconf/automake based, then the "prefix" is the place you want
to install, such as /usr/local/. The application and its configurations
are built to know that ${prefix}.  The DESTDIR is used only during the
installation (never during the build). It is used to do the installation
of the prefix to a staging directory or other location. By default, you
always have a "prefix" and the DESTDIR is empty.

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo ':6DB6=88>?;@69876tA=AC8BB5tA6487><' | tr '4-F' 'wu rofIn.lkigemca'