server room construction companies in the valley?

Jay jay at kinetic.org
Thu Apr 20 16:01:13 MST 2006

When we built the Opnix data center (now the headquarters for Limelight
Networks), we hired Compel as the general contractor. They were expensive,
but also very good. The end result was excellent.

However, that was a full data center build. We started with a gutted
industrial building and finished with the most advanced data center in
Arizona at the time and a full-blown NOC. Building a "server room" (which
can still be a show piece and very functional) is very different from
building a carrier-class data center. Which one are you really doing?

If it is the former, which is probably the right move, and if you have the
time/persistence to play general contractor, you can probably do it
yourself. If you want to make your life much easier, and have the cash to
spend, getting a contractor experienced in such facilities is a good move.

As I mentioned, we used Compel, but there are others. Try emailing/calling
a couple of facilities around town that you like and just ask them who
they used to build their facility (and if they would recommend that
contractor). Talk to the data center or NOC manager. Geeks are generally
pretty friendly to other geeks.

~Jay

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, mike enriquez wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> When it comes to design you need to agree on a company theme. Use Grapics,
> colors and materials to communicate that theme. Look at your company strategy
> and you will find the answer. Any good design educated architect should be
> able to help you. But make sure they understand the strategy.  Write up the
> technical requirements and give it to your designer and assign company staff
> to monitor and install the technical stuff.
> The designer you use does not need to understand the cisco or Linux stuff.
> But the designer needs to understand what you are trying to achieve. Hire
> someone who is willing to take the time to understand the marketing position
> for your company.
> Knowing the marketing position and the strategy will cause a design theme to
> grow from there.
> Good luck to you.
> Mike Enriquez , (first architect to have a fully computerize office in
> arizona)
>

> Dan Lund wrote:
>
>> We went with APC for rack/cooling plans.  Really our data center is
>> nice but it doesn't have that "look at me, ooh ooh, I have glass
>> doors!" feel.  We have an APC infrastruXture for battery backup and
>> racking... Leibert A/C for Air Conditioning.  The planning was all
>> done by us, and APC helped with the CFM necessities along with the
>> Liebert AC consultant(s).
>>

>> On 4/20/06, Bill Earl <bearl at bestbill.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Our company has been fortunate to experience a lot of growth over the
>>> past few years, and we're now in the process of having our own building
>>> constructed! Yay!
>>>
>>> In the new building we've been tasked with making the server room a
>>> showcase since we're a technology company (i.e., we use computers a
>>> lot). This means that my perfectly serviceable computer racks and wiring
>>> "system" (it's not as bad as some, but it's not a showcase) won't do the
>>> job.
>>>
>>> All the wiring and cabling is taken care of, but I'm looking for
>>> suggestions and sources for someplace or someone locally who has
>>> experience with constructing a professional quality server room. We're
>>> probably going to get new racks, but beyond that, I'm not really sure
>>> where to start.  Does anyone have any experience with a company who can
>>> give us some advice and even do the work on putting together a pretty
>>> server room?
>>>
>>> We use Linux servers, so hopefully this isn't too off topic. ;-)  I know
>>> that a number of the list members work in data centers, so I'm hoping
>>> someone has some recommendations.   Thanks very much!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bill Earl
>>> Network Administrator
>>> 623-516-4700, ext. 113
>>> 623-587-7787, fax
>>> www.bestbill.com

>> --
>> "Courage is like love; it must have hope to nourish it."
>> -Napoleon Bonaparte

~Jay