I fiund the instructions!

bmike101 at cox.net bmike101 at cox.net
Wed Apr 19 06:56:33 MST 2006

How should I download dhcp3-client w/o installing it

The instructions are:
---1- download (preferably with a package manager
---	dhcp3-client

How should I download dhcp3-client seeing as the os isn't on thet network. Should I 'apt-get install -d dhsp3-client' and pray there are no unmet dependencies?

---2- Edit /etc/network/interfaces so that it includes a
---stanza like this:
---	iface eth0 inet dhcp
---NOTE:
---may already have this line at the bottom of the script
---but comment out everything except this line (existing
---address/mask/Bcast.....)

You know I just looked at this file and modified it to look like the instructions say. I just added a hash by all the lines except the one i'm not supposed to. I looks thusly:

## /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

##auto lo
##iface lo inet loopback

## DO NOT EDIT BELOW THIS LINE
#auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp
#  address 192.168.0.10
#  netmask 255.255.255.0
#  broadcast 192.168.0.255
#  gateway 192.168.0.1
#auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
#  address 192.168.0.15
#  netmask 255.255.255.0
#  broadcast 192.168.0.255
#  gateway 192.168.0.1
##auto ath0
#iface ath0 inet dhcp
#  address 192.168.0.15
#  netmask 255.255.255.0
#  broadcast 192.168.0.255
#  gateway 192.168.0.1
##auto wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet dhcp
#  address 192.168.0.15
#  netmask 255.255.255.0
#  broadcast 192.168.0.255
#  gateway 192.168.0.1
## DO NOT EDIT ABOVE THIS LINE

---3- Recycle power (unplug for three minutes)
---4- type
---	dhclient
---to restart dhcp3-client