ssh within home LAN issues

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Tue Apr 18 17:25:45 MST 2006

Dazed_75 said:

--[clip]--
> Hence 3 questions for now:
> 1 - How best to not have to use IPs for the ssh functions?

I am interested in the answer to this one.  I solved it by going to fixed
IP addresses for my home computers.

> 2 - Is X "Forwarding" being off the primary/sole cause for the remote
> GUI failure?

Add the '-X' option to your ssh command line like so:

ssh -X user at nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn

> 3 - Where might I find CURRENT and fairly simple HOWTOs for ssh which
> cover this situation (I have read many outdated docs and which assume
> you are in a corporate environment with an internal name server)?

Your answer does not lie in ssh docs.  It will be found in DHCP/DNS docs.
ssh will just use the accessible name service.  In your case, and mine at
home, ssh can't find the name service for the local computers.

> Sorry for being so wordy, but newbs are that way. :)

Wordy?  That was pretty succinct, I think.

Alan