Access alternatives

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Tue Apr 18 11:38:43 MST 2006

One of the departments in an organization I consult for recently requested a
new server. I gave them several recommendations and they chose the more power
system to my surprise, but with opted for RHEL4 instead of Windows 2003
Server.

Two weeks later, I have completed the integration/replacement of the Windows
2000 AD server with the RHEL4/Samba server. The integration was nearly
flawless with only a few minor irritations I have yet to figure out. But
throughout all this, I have had the corporate honchos watching what I am
doing and have been impressed with the features of the server and things I
can do with my laptop. Since many of them are having major spyware issues,
which so far I am lucky to avoid being a consultant I am not to waste time on
little projects... lol, I they are seeking a way to avoid all these problems.
Throughout discussions on the server and why RHEL instead of Windows, they
recall my mention of 'no spyware and few viruses' and they are curious about
their desktops now. The entire orgranization uses word documents and excel
spreadsheets, nothing advanced by any means, which OO.o could easily replace
and some are already using it. The only problem however is the access
databases, which there are MANY.

Are there any ( I don't care free or not, just _ANY_ ) replacements or
alternatives for Access databases?

Nathan

Payson Computer Services
PO Box 2551
Payson, Arizona 85547
(928) 595 - 1449

http://www.paysonlinux.org/
nathan at paysonlinux.org

Business Consulting Services,
Advanced Network and Server Design,
Security Solutions,
Process Management and Efficiency Consultations