CPU heat-sink problems (solved!)

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Tue Apr 18 10:47:32 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 13:38, Dennis Kibbe wrote:
> FoulDragon at aol.com wrote:
> > In a message dated 4/16/2006 6:36:31 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
> > vltreude at deru.com writes:
> >
> >> An interesting  idea, perhaps I'll try it.  I probably  wouldn't want to
> >> lay the string on the actual CPU die, though, because it would leave a
> >> gap in the layer.  So the string would need to be a tiny bit fatter than
> >> the height of the  die about the mounting substrate.
> >
> > Even paste layers aren't critical-- 99 percent of the paste gets pressed out
> > once it's mounted.  I rarely make it an art.
> >
> > Is the fan running properly on the heatsink?  Have you blown it out lately
> > (try a straw!)
> >
> > Sometimes the temp sensors are wildly inaccurate (I'm looking at you, Abit)
> >
> > Did you degunge the CPU and sink?
> >
> > Is this the first time it's built in this case?  Maybe your case airflow
> > sucks.
>
> Good points.
>
> And as Siri mentioned make sure the heat sink is mounted correctly.
> Socket A (and older Pentium sockets) has a step on one side and if the
> heat sink isn't orientated correctly (180 degrees off) it won't sit
> flush with the CPU.

D'oh!  I had it oriented 180 degrees.  I think I need to get glasses or
something, because I didn't realize there was a step on that side.  What
I did was to move this CPU to a different mobo, and on this one, there
was very little room between the CPU and the DIMMs.  It so happened that
the heat sink's clasp was much larger on that side than the other, so I
figured it should go where there was more room.  Oh well, thanks, it's
cool as the proverbial cucumber now.

Vaughn

P.S. This time I chilled out and did a semi-sloppy job putting on the
thermal grease - and it was no problem.