hacked

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Sun Apr 16 14:18:57 MST 2006

Also look at /etc/shadow and ensure the second field has either an
unintelligible hash, or a !!, or a *.  Make sure you do not see
something like this:
root::12648:0:99999:7:::

Two colons in a row after the user name is really bad.

Good:
root:$1$Jjm1PaTt$Vnmn8njIkAJwOAZM9P9DD.:12648:0:99999:7:::

Bad:
root::12648:0:99999:7:::

To preclude a rootkit, you can always boot the box using Knoppix, then
mount the suspect disk and look at /etc/shadow.

Regards,

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
My IT Department
www.myITaz.com
480-544-1067

In business, there are always problems.  It's how they are handled
that makes a difference.  Are you happy with your IT Manager?