OT: CPU heat-sink problems

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Sun Apr 16 14:12:43 MST 2006

I've done this many (many) times, and have had no problems.  I have not
been as meticulous as you in this endeavor, so maybe I'm lucky?

I scraped it off from both the die and the heat sink using the green
plastic card that came with the compound, wiped it off using a paper
towel, then put a small amount (comparable to what I scraped off) in the
center of the die, smear it around with a toothpick and reattached the
heat sink.  My thought is the force from the spring clips is going to
make the grease spread out and become thin.

Not very scientific, but it has worked so far.

What I have discovered over the years is the fan/heat sink that comes
with the retail CPU boxes are inadequate.  I have been forced to upgrade
the coolers for every CPU I've installed in the last 5 years.

My latest joy is the fanless heat pipe cooler - it does as good of a job
as the the monster-sized planet coolers that I've used before and makes
no noise whatsoever.  I have one with three heat pipes and 6 cooling
towers cooling an AMD Athelon XP 2400+.  Works quite well - it keeps the
CPU at 41C even while the OS is running at a load average of 0.50.

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
My IT Department
www.myITaz.com
480-544-1067

In business, there are always problems.  It's how they are handled
that makes a difference.  Are you happy with your IT Manager?