hacked

Jason Spatafore jason at spatafore.net
Fri Apr 14 17:45:44 MST 2006

Hmm...some basics for finding stuff out...

1. Change the root password first and foremost.

2. Check /etc/passwd and see if there are any accounts which are suspicious.
Also check to see if there is an account with the UID of "0", other than
root.

3. Check /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow for any openings. Your best bet
would be to read up on some SSH information for which files are used to
figure out who is allowed.

4. Check your logfiles in /var/log/.... to see if you see a TON Of failed
login attempts. Of course, if they were able to root your box, they could
have deleted this trail.

5. Make sure you only have necessary services started. (Minimum necessary
rule)

These should help you out. I cannot give you detailed instructions on each one
but these are the basics. However, the only 'real' way to be sure your box is
not longer compromised is to wipe it and reload it. Once compromised, a box
is very 'iffy' at best. You can, of course, keep your data if you wipe and
reload. Just backup all files you want beforehand. (But delete applications
from the old system as they could have been compromised.)

--
Sincerely,

Jason Spatafore
Linux+ Certified Professional