how to format & partition ext hdd??

betty molossermom at ev1.net
Thu Apr 6 10:48:59 MST 2006

those with little patience read no further.

Help please, i am trying to find the correct (and easy) way to format
and partition an external 160 GB hdd that i want to use to store backups
of data on my linux machine and my m$ machine.

I would like to have about 100 GB FAT32 and 60GB ext3.
for some reason when i run the hardware browser, this drive is called
SDB1 not hdd?? but whatever.
I am thinking that i need to do something like

Fdisk /dev/sdb1
mke3fs /dev/sdb1

how do i make a fat32 partition?
where do i write the numbers of the beginning and ending sectors?
do i have to name the two partitions?

can i just pretend it's a floppy and use the gui?? haha. just kidding.
i did get parted but it is way beyond my ability to figure out so i
thought i'd give one last attempt by asking here, if it's still too
beyond me then i'll just use ghost and use it only for m$, what a waste.
but if you think that that is the best thing to do , i can handle that,
let me know.

help help.
thanks again, did i mention that your response, if any, needs to be easy
to understand??? thanks for hand-holding.
i'm always available for any canine problems you have.
--
betty i.
www.WebCanine.com