recording with Audacity (sound card issue)

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Mon Apr 3 20:40:34 MST 2006

The arts daemon really needs to go away, so much in fact that KDE 4 will no
longer use it. I wish KDE would just directly interface with alsa, but until
4 comes out we are stuck with arts. I disable it, always have, never a
problem, unless you want audio from your programs. You can configure the
sounds to use aplay directly though, if you want kopete to make noise!

nathan

On Monday 03 April 2006 08:58, Jason Hayes wrote:
> On Saturday 01 April 2006 08:35 pm, Bart Garst wrote:
> > > Anyone out there had to fight with their soundcard to get
> > > Audacity working properly?
> >
> > Do you have a mixer installed?
> > I have to fiddle with my mixer before I can record from the line-in jack.
> > Oddly enough, the microphone jack just worked out-of-the-box.
> > Bart
>
> It turns out that it wasn't just arming the track. I had actually killed a
> process before doing what I thought was 'arming the track' last time. (I
> was able to get recording to work in Ardour, but had to kill off some
> process like artsd to get Jack to start). I did that, recorded what I
> needed, and then moved on. When I tried to record the next track, I found I
> had the same problem - sound, playback, etc. but no recording.
>
> So, after fiddling with things for a while, I discovered that my problem
> was actually a result of the KDE sound system  taking over and not letting
> some sound card related process go. When I shut that down (system -->
> configuration --> KDE -->  Sound --> Sound System --> disable the entire
> sound system), everything started flowing smoothly.
>
> I guess we'll see, in the future, how KDE responds to having parts of
> itself shut down like that. So far no instability noted.
>
> Thanks to Bart and Christian for their input.

Payson Computer Services
PO Box 2551
Payson, Arizona 85547
(928) 595 - 1449

http://www.paysonlinux.org/
nathan at paysonlinux.org

Business Consulting Services,
Advanced Network and Server Design,
Security Solutions,
Process Management and Efficiency Consultations