Do I have a Virus?

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sun Apr 2 12:08:51 MST 2006

Mark Phillips wrote:

>I have a domain that is due to be renewed next week. I have not used the
>domain for anything. As of two days ago, I am getting hundreds of email
>failure notices for names that I don't know using this domain. Such as
>KarenStrumps at allonthego.com.
>
>I added an example below.
>
>What does this mean? What can I do about it?
>
>Thanks

The headers indicate that the bad mail in question originated from
chello.fr, so it's not coming from your computer or domain. They're
using your domain name, so that they have a valid sender but don't have
to accept the bounces. Instead, you get them.

About the only thing you can do is to change your mail config to not
accept unknown/wildcard addresses. If GoDaddy/zoneedit.com/whoever is
handling your email for this domain then take the problem to them and
they should be able to stop this for you. Note that it'll still be
happening, you just won't be getting the bounced mail addressed to
KarenStrumps@, MontyGarza@ or whatever.

Anybody else have any ideas?

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |