Router install report (Was: Re: about DSL firewall)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Sep 29 23:01:17 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 22:14 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:

> Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 September 2005 01:11 pm Alan Dayley kindly wrote:
> >>I am scheduled to setup my father's tonight.  So, I'll have a bit
> >>of experience with it should you have questions.  I assume it will
> >>be fairly easy.
> >>

> > If you have time, let me know how it goes.
>
> Siri (and all of PLUG),
>
> It went rather well, overall.  My father has Cox high speed cable.  The
> only hitch in the process was that the cable modem had to be forced to
> reset by turning it off for a while and then restarting it and the
> router (DI-604).
>
> Because of that catch, I had to call the 24/7 toll free support number
> in the quick start book.  It was just a wait for a few minutes and then
> I worked with the guy for about 15 minutes as we tried different things
> before settling on the reset-the-modem process.  Relatively impressed,
> actually.
>
> The little quick start book is full of diagrams and screen shots to show
> what to connect and where to click.  It came up with everything but ping
> blocked at the firewall.  Has a pretty clean interface for opening ports
> if needed or other options.  All configuration is through your browser
> so managing it from Linux or any other OS should not be an issue.
>
> All in all, I nice little box, that D-Link DI-604!  I thank those that
> recommended it.  I don't think you will have problems with it, Siri.
> After all, we all know you are a Slacker!
----
cable modems used to be hacked when they were left powered on when the
computer attached to it was shut down. The cable internet providers
changed things so that a cable modem locked itself to whatever MAC
address was connected to it when it powered up to prevent those types of
things from occurring.

Thus, when you want to switch a cable mode from one computer to another,
or a computer to a router device, etc. which has a different MAC, you
only need to power off the cable modem for 15 seconds and power up when
you want to switch computer/devices.

It's something that they sort of allude to while you are on hold, but
they don't bother explaining the details.

Craig

believed to be clean.