OT: Suggestions for DSL and VOIP

Joseph Sinclair plug-discuss at stcaz.net
Wed Sep 28 08:14:44 MST 2005

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding something, but why would you need a third line?  If you're planning to keep 2 lines from Qwest, and you need 2 lines, what's the third for?  Remember, DSL doesn't "use up" a line like dial-up does, it uses a separate frequency band which is filtered out at your service connection, so there is (in theory) no interference with your existing voice line.

That said, If you're interested in VOIP, I'd wait until you know how reliable the DSL will be for you before considering VOIP.  Some people get near-perfect reliability, and some people find the system disconnects every 2-10 hours due to marginal signal strength.  You'll probably be somewhere in between, so it's best to see what you're getting before committing to additional services that depend on DSL.

==Joseph++