Any way to change video card drivers in text mode with Suse 9.3?

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Tue Sep 27 16:16:53 MST 2005

Cool.  I was going to say, though, that this would likely have worked
(just for the record, now):

1. Reboot into the normal boot mode.  Your monitor will likely shut
off since the monitor modes are wrong
2. Switch to console mode using Ctrl+Alt+F1 or Ctrl+Alt+F2
3. Log in as root
4. Run 'init 3' to switch to multi-user non-X mode
5. Just to make sure, delete the old xorg.conf file (rm -f /etc/X11/
xorg.conf)
6. Run 'sax2'
7. After that works (and it almost for sure would have), restart X
mode with 'init 5'

I am guessing that the only reason there was a problem at all was
because your monitors are so wildly divergent.  I have switched
monitors back and forth with no problems many times and only had to
run yast/sax to adjust things like the refresh rate and screen size.
Usually, every monitor will at least handle the basics.