GRUB Loading, Error 18

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Mon Sep 26 15:16:39 MST 2005

Kenneth wrote:

>>From list of errors in grub info page:
>18 : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS
>     This error is returned when a read is attempted at a linear block
>     address beyond the end of the BIOS translated area. This generally
>     happens if your disk is larger than the BIOS can handle (512MB for
>     (E)IDE disks on older machines or larger than 8GB in general).
>
>I never had this problem so never worried about it, but this is the reason
>many people create a small partition for /boot, that resides near the front
>of the disk.

I *have* had this problem. Creating a 10MB /boot up front will save tons
of headaches. Even though newer BIOS's have made the bootable area
*much* larger, hard drives have gotten larger yet. On the downside of
creating a /boot partition... oh, yeah, there's no downside.

--
Darrin Chandler
dwchandler at stilyagin.com
http://www.stilyagin.com/