need help getting started -- probably w Knoppix

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 13:43:29 MST 2005

--- Mike Schwartz <av567 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am Mike Schwartz - a member of the Aztec Free-Net
> (see previous news items posted here, by "av567" [me]).
>
> In the future I may be able to help other Newbies,
> but first I need to get started on Gnu/Linux myself.
> My interest in this has increased recently,
> partly as a reaction to some of the things written
> recently about MS in the mainstream press, and
> partly since I have a computer at home
> that I'd like to use to start learning more about
> FOSS. This is my request for help getting started.
>
> At a stammtisch meeting, I asked about a dual-boot
> capability and someone suggested that, by starting
> with Knoppix,

Knoppix does provide a way to see a GNU/Linux distribution without modifying
your hard drive contents.  IMO, it isn't the best way to start learning, but
I'm sure others will disagree.  If you are at the point where you know
nothing, want to see what its all about, etc., then Knoppix live cd is
certainly good for that.  If you're already sure you want to give it a real
test and learn a little before deciding whether you like it, then IMO its
better to dig in.  Make sure you have a good idea what you're doing with the
existing partition, etc., and have backups of anything important before
installing.

> there is no need to modify my OS loader;
> I have never used a "bootable CD" (or, DVD) to run
> Linux before, and I have still yet to read a couple
> of books on Linux that I got from the library.
> Someone suggested that, rather than try to download
> Knoppix myself, and create (burn) a CD, instead to
> find someone who already has one, or who could create
> one.

This depends on your situation.  If you have broadband internet and a CD
burner, it might be faster and easier to burn it yourself, but of course this
is your call.

> If you are that person, please reply.
> I am planning to attend the Sept. 27 West Side
> meeting of PLUG. If you can help me, I would
> appreciate it and maybe do something good in return.
> :: PS ::
> I think there is a way I can "reply" to this posting,
> with a "comment" that would show up in the same thread.
> I guess I will try to do that, if/when there is anything
> new (such as, "never mind" for some reason)

If you have the list sent as email, a simple, normal "reply" should go to the
right place.