OT: What FS is the Windows XP recovery partition?

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Sun Sep 25 20:09:10 MST 2005

Hello everybody,

My sister's HP has been sending out ominous "drive about to fail"
messages.  She asked me to help replace her drive.  I did what I
normally do:  after adding the new drive, I booted the system in Knoppix
to try to do the copy.  The problem was the 5 GB "recovery" partition at
the beginning of the disk.  Knoppix could not recognize this.  The same
held true for Seagate's setup utility, which boots with DR-DOS (the
replacement drive is a Seagate.)  Does anybody know what kind of file
system the Evil Empire uses for this partition?  Secondly, is it now
safe to use Linux to copy NTFS files?  My version of Knoppix is 3.3 and
I've since downloaded 4.0, but I don't want to drive back to my sister's
house unprepared.  Is there a good Linux tool to do this?

Thanks,
Vaughn