Installed SUSE 9.3 w/ 15" LCD, then swapped to 17" LCD... res limited to 1024x

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Sep 25 18:40:54 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-25 at 18:31 -0700, Bupkus wrote:
> Bupkus wrote:
>
> > Doesn't system detect hardware at boot?  Shouldn't Control
> > Center>Peripherals>Display provide a "Screen size" option in the
> > drop-down that reflects the sensed monitor capabilities?
> >

> I ran xf86config and now it only boots into text mode.  Just as in the
> past with older versions of linux, whenever I'm in a corner and unable
> to make what should be simple adjustments, I end up re-installing the
> OS.  This is why I have backed away from linux so many times over the
> years .
----
you need a little more patience - everything is fixable in Linux without
a reinstall - not so with Windows where when things get funky, you can't
just edit things with a text editor.

I could tell you how to fix it if you were on a redhat/fedora system but
not SuSE, which I know has yast but that is for GUI which of course is
your issue.

As for system detecting hardware, it should, it would have on
redhat/fedora system.

Hang on, there are some on this list with SuSE experience or you could
for expedience, try a SuSE list.

Craig

believed to be clean.