Need help mounting floppy

Siri Amrit Kaur tigerflag at tigerflag.com
Sat Sep 24 08:30:54 MST 2005

Haven't used a floppy in years, now I find I can't mount one. My icon
for a floppy in KDE points to /mnt/floppy. There is no directory for
floppy in /mnt and I can't make one. There is only a link there to
the floppy, and the link is locked to root as owner and group. I
can't change it. The icon on my desktop links to URL: /mnt/floppy.
When I try to open the floppy I get the error message:

"Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder
file:/mnt/floppy doesn't seem to exist"

Tried to make a directory for /mnt/floppy and got the error:
mkdir: cannot create directory 'floppy': File exists

This is what my fstab _was_:

/dev/fd0  /floppy  vfat  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0

I changed umask to 000 (everybody can read and write) but it didn't do
change anything.

Went to kanotix's help forum and someone else had a similar problem.
Kano recommended changing the fstab line to read:
none /floppy supermount fs=auto,dev=/dev/fd0,--,user,rw 0 0

Tried that.

I know this should be a simple fix. Any suggestions?

TIA,
Siri Amrit