Debian as a desktop system

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Sep 23 02:11:35 MST 2005

Am 22. Sep, 2005 schwätzte Lynn David Newton so:

>   > At this point, however, I'd recommend using Ubuntu for desktop.
>   > Ubuntu is strongly debian-based, but provides a better workstation
>   > experience.
>
> What specifically makes it so in your experience?

First of all, it's still debian :). There are a great many reasons I
prefer debian as my distro and I want debian derivatives to still have
those features.

(K)Ubuntu has got desktop features like auto-(un)mounting USB drives as
they're added and removed.

The smaller menu listings is better for non-geeks.

The menu at the top is better organized for setting personalized
preferences.

It doesn't have a root passwd, depending instead on sudo. I think it does
sudo right ( mostly ). For instance, launching synaptic ( GUI apt tool )
brings up a passwd dialog box, then launches synaptic after the user's pw
is correctly entered.

Ubuntu also forces itself to stay aligned to debian, so I only have a few
fears that it'll fork.

> (Never seen Ubuntu)

You ought to give it a look. Live CDs abound, so you don't even have to
install it :).

debian for engineering and design, Ubuntu for desktop functionality.

I'm sure Ubuntu is adding more than just eye-candy, though.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  "... the social skills of a cow on acid." - der.hans