linux firewall

Kevin Brown kevin_brown at qwest.net
Thu Sep 22 18:50:19 MST 2005

>>> I would like to know if somebody has experience with a linux
>>> firewall in a corporate setting. I am looking at replacing a
>>> current/old linux box running iptables with a tool that would
>>> provide a web interface for configuration and pretty graphs. This
>>>  firewall will have to be able to let Microsoft VPN traffic go
>>> through.
>>
>> Without reservation I can recommend IPCop (http://www.ipcop.org).
>> I have not personally used MS VPN traffic with it but I know from
>> the user email list that many people do.  Vibrant community for
>> great support.  Active developement and updates from the
>> developers.
>>
>> Alan
>

> Nice thing about IPcop it can run completely from the CDRom  ..no HDD
> needed so it should be hack proof

That doesn't make it hack proof, but does mean that hacks won't survive
a reboot.  Then again, neither will any custom configuration you put
into it unless you burn a CD/DVD with the filesystem after you make your
changes.  The only truly hackproof system is one with the network cable
detached, power turned off and HD removed/smashed...  Not very useful
though, is it...