rsh crazyness

Tony Wasson ajwasson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 14:32:04 MST 2005

On 9/21/05, Sean Roe <sean at azbiz.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am loosing my mind over this one.  I have two linux boxes 1) Slackware
>  10.0 server and a Debian 3.1 client.  I am trying to rsync a directory on
> the Slack box from the Deb box and I keep getting permission denied.  I
> can rsh (I know all about ssh but it is way to slow for this application
> and its on a secure network) to the box and I get logged on.  But when I
> try to run a remote command like "rsh slackware1 date"  I get permissioned
> denied.  Can somebody please help me as I am not a Slackware user.

Since you aren't concerned with security and want more speed, why not
run a rsync as a server? With ssh and rsh, you are using a remote
shell program as the transport. If you insist on using rsh, double
check your server logs.

from the man page for rsync:
"It is also possible to use rsync without a remote shell as the
transport. In this case you will connect to a  remote rsync server
running on TCP port 873".