firefox insecurity?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Sep 21 02:11:47 MST 2005

Am 20. Sep, 2005 schwätzte Josh Coffman so:

> Also, I work in the arena of proprietary software.
> Yes, we have bugs. And sometimes we find them before
> the public does. It's just better that way. Call it
> managing customer relations or managing expectation,
> but there are certain things you have to do to keep
> customer confidence. Some places I've worked may
> release bug & fix information to its users, typically
> when it's packaged software. Generally, web-based apps
> don't disclose that sort of info.

I wasn't trying to say all proprietary software is bad. I will even avoid
saying all proprietary m$ software is bad.

I will say that I believe m$ has yet to release and enterprise-ready OS,
though. I even doubt it's released any enterprise-ready network apps.

I will also say that from a customer's perspective one should always
choose Free Software rather than proprietary software if one is only
comparing licensing.

There are many more concerns than just licensing, which brings us back to
the old 'best tool for the job' subject...

> Open Source has different customer expectations to
> manage. Generally OSS has more tech-savy users.

Yes, FLOSS has tended to attract a more savvy clientelle, but the
non-savvy customers are also increasing. We must be prepared to help them
as well.

> Oh, the MS root user thing is well known and they've
> already said they are changing that model in future
> windows versions.

Only took them 10 years. Guess they're still learning lessons *NIX figured
out while m$ was still in diapers ;-).

> My basic philosphy is everybody's shi at t stinks, it's
> just which way the wind is blowing.

True. But at least you can recompile ours to include libpotpourri :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  "Communications without intelligence is noise;