Wireless setup

Donn dlshumway at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 16:02:57 MST 2005

In Mandriva, ndiswrapper may be your problem. I agree with Craig, that
Mandriva should (very likely) recognize an Intel Wireless connection
natively, without the use of ndiswrapper. The 2006 RC2 release is
veryrecent and I am not familiar with it, but I would suggest:
1) make sure you uninstall any drivers that may have been installed using
ndiswrapper
2) since there are so many other variables, I suggest you reboot (this is
the first time I have suggested that for a Linux issue but have good
reason), just to make sure all remnants of the ndiswrapper driver are
removed.
3) look at the output of lspci an see if there is any listing of your
wireless chipset being recognized
4) if so, look at the output of 'lsmod' to see if your driver has been
loaded.
5) if not, do a 'modprobe ipw2200', make sure it loads (using 'lsmod') then
try setting up your connection using Drakconnect.

What type of encryption are you using? If WPA, the Drak tools do not support
it yet (at least in 2005LE). You may have to use wpa_supplicant to get it to
connect. WEP should be supported without problem.

Here is a link <http://soft.zoneo.net/Linux/x40.php?lang=en> to Installing
the Centrino drivers on an IBMx40 with Mandrake 10.1. And
another<http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/aopen1556.html>.
I hope they help.

Also, here <http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/353964> are
generic instructions from Intel.

--
Donn
"Sarcasm is the safe alternative to expressing anger."