firefox insecurity?

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 15:14:41 MST 2005

--- Dragos Neagu <dragos.neagu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/20/05, Josh Coffman <josh_coffman at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Now, to say you can't connect to the internet on
> > windows without IE and/or outlook is just plain
> > ignorant. Sorry, but it is. I ran firefox and
> > thunderbird after i gave up IE and outlook. I then
> > switched to all webmail, so I had no email client.
>
> You can "remove" IE via; Add/Remove Programs >
> Windows Components > IE.
> BUT...if you open explorer and type an Internet
> address, it'll still
> use IE (this is how they sidestepped the monopoly
> lawsuit and still
> shipped IE, because it was "required" for the OS to
> run).  Also
> certain programs don't obey your prefered browsers
> and open IE
> whenever you click on a link.  You just can't get
> away from IE on
> windows.
>
> --
> -Dragos Neagu <><
> "If I have been able to see farther, it was only
> because I stood on
> the shoulders of giants." - Sir Isaac Newton
> "Open source is like science, closed source is like
> witchcraft" - Linus Torvalds

I never ran into any of those IE-linked apps, but I
can see how, as a programmer, that might be. (Using a
path to launch the browser instead of the system
default setting. generally a bad progamming to do
that.)

I also never bought into that monopoly thing... MS
isn't a monopoly; it is(was?) an oligopoly. I'm not
sure if that's the right word, but basically a seller
or group of sellers that have such a large portion of
the market that thay basically have a strangle hold of
potential buyers. Like a monopoly, but not an absence
of choices. Problem for the MS-is-monopoly crowd is
that an oligopoly isn't illegal. Otherwise, the
utility companies would also be in violation.

I recall reading some how-to to really remove IE, but
I figured it was more work than I cared for. and, if I
wanted, there is a certain dll that could be altered
or removed to criple IE (and possibly IP sockets).