verifying files

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 17 15:15:00 MST 2005

--- "der.hans" <PLUGd at LuftHans.com> wrote:

> Am 17. Sep, 2005 schwätzte Craig White so:
>
> > I'm thinking that I don't entirely trust what I
> 'exported' from my iPod
> > and want to check it against the music data from
> my Windows
> >
> > What I want to compare is the entirety of the
> music data - though the
> > file names and folder names are different, the
> data within them should
> > be entirely unchanged.
>
> Are they different in a way that can easily be
> scripted? e.g.
> 'My_Song.ogg' vs. '01. My Song.ogg'?
>
> Have the id3 or whatever tags changed? If they have
> you likely have to
> strip them out to compare everything.
>
> > so I thought I could md5sum a directory tree but
> it only works on
> > files. ;-(
>
> Yup. I don't know of a tool that would accurately do
> dirs. When going from
> one filesystem to another it's really not going to
> work without a lot of
> work, I think.
>
> If you have space you might be able to get away with
> catting all of the
> music files into one file and then comparing the
> md5sum of it to the other
> one.
>
> Theoretically that should work. I've just never
> tried it :).

You could run the md5sum on the stream and not have to
take up the extra disk space.  You would have to be
sure the files were in the same order in both cases,
which might not be true with cat * | whatever, since
the file names are different.

I don't see the size of the directories being a
problem. As mentioned elsewhere, those are pretty
close, and differences can come up due to directory
sizes.