better heatsink

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at linuxquestions.net
Thu Sep 15 14:51:51 MST 2005

From: "der.hans" <PLUGd at LuftHans.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:55:05 -0700 (MST)
To: quatsch <PLUG-discuss at lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us>
Subject: better heatsink

moin, moin,

<SNIP>

Anyway, so I thought I'd ask for heatsink recommendations.

<SNIP>
<SNIP>
Any suggestions?

Yes, I've used the Spire FalconRock II heatsink (http://www.spirecoolers.com/fcc.asp?prodid=86) on a couple of boxes with great results -- nearly silent.  Advantages are the 80mm fan moves lots of air with very low noise and both the heatsink and the fan are aluminium so it really draws the heat away.  Best is the price - under $20.  Check Froogle, CyberGuys or Newegg.

Since your putting the computer in a cabinet make sure the back is well ventilated and your case has a good rear fan 90mm or larger for todays hot processors.  For most installations you can forget about a front fan, it's the rear that pulls the heat out and draws the air in.  Sometimes a front fan can actually raise temps (ref: AMD Builders' Guide).

Dennisk