jobs & salaries

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 12:42:54 MST 2005

'tag

  Here's my dirty little secret. I'm a windows
developer. I'm pretty good at it and make a good
living. I've switched to linux at home(except a dual
boot for some side-work) mostly because I was tired of
MS annoyances, the cost, and I was generally curious.

  One area I've still see MS more favorably is in
development. Part of that is because I've been doing
it for a little while. (Ok, maybe more than a little.)
While I like Eclipse, I haven't seen dev tools that
come close to Visual Studio even with it's stupid
annoyances. Although, CVS has got to be better than
SourceSafe; that's what I call crap.

  Also, I have no idea how one would earn a living in
linux other than network or server admin stuff. So
please educate me. What do people use develop apps?
What sort of salaries or contract rates are out there?
Anyone else ever made the switch from MS-dev to linux
dev?

-j