Favorite Dist (was Silent list?)

stu wien33 at cox.net
Thu Sep 15 08:34:39 MST 2005

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 09:46, Simon Chatfield wrote:
> It's funny how times have changed. I have been using
> linux since 95 (0.92 I think) and I used to love
> tweaking it and recompiling the kernel to get ever
> last ounce of CPU out of the machines. I have run
> several flavors of linux over the years, but lately
> I'm just a fan of having things work and not having to
> fiddle with them. :)
>
> I'm now using Redhat 9 through FC4 on about 10
> different machines, but mostly because it's easiest
> (for me) to maintain. In the 90s I really liked
> Enlightenment and Window Maker, but now I'm just a
> Gnome user.

	I've been running Linux almost exclusively for about two years now, and I've
toyed with about 20 different distros. I started with Suse 9.0 which
impressed me so much I've become fascinated with all things GNU/Linux, and
it's rekindled my "pre-Windows 3.0" passion for computers in general, (Z-80A,
anyone?).
	I find I have a preference for the Debian flavors, but it's all good AFAIAC.
I now run Simply MEPIS for the most part, because of it's ease of use and
versatility. Having both Live and Install versions with a choice of either
2.4 or 2.6 Kernels on the same CD is a plus for me. It runs great on my HP
Pavilion Laptop and my AMD desktops, including an old Compac K6-2 400 using
the 2.4 Kernel. I'm hoping Warren will produce a 64 version in the near
future.
	Being a perpetual Newbie, I appreciate the fact that I can do most anything I
want with MEPIS "as is" while I can continue to Alt-Ctrl-F6 and teach myself
how to use the CLI in a terminal. Since I gave Windows the Boot in preference
for *any* Linux Distro, my only regret is that I took so long to do it!

		Stu