Favorite Dist (was Silent list?)

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 11:09:37 MST 2005

--- Simon Chatfield <sjchatfield at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's funny how times have changed. I have been using
> linux since 95 (0.92 I think) and I used to love
> tweaking it and recompiling the kernel to get ever
> last ounce of CPU out of the machines. I have run
> several flavors of linux over the years, but lately
> I'm just a fan of having things work and not having
> fiddle with them. :)
>
> I'm now using Redhat 9 through FC4 on about 10
> different machines, but mostly because it's easiest
> (for me) to maintain. In the 90s I really liked
> Enlightenment and Window Maker, but now I'm just a
> Gnome user.

I first tried linux around 1996 or 97-ish, but never
got into it. Otherwise, I'm a new linux user as of
about 3 months ago.

I've tried lots of distros, and am waiting
semi-patiently for OpenSuse 10. The two distro's I
like most are Mepis and Fedora. Mepis for it's ease of
use and great hardware support. Fedora because, well,
it forced me to really learn linux to get things
working. Also, Fedora has good performance.

I'm currently running Fedora Core 4 on my laptop and
desktop. Actually, I intended to put Mepis on my
desktop since that's the family machine. However, I
fabulously messed that up. Fedora ended up saving me
on that though so...

I'm mostly ambivelent to KDE vs GNOME, and haven't
played with anything else yet.