Booting Linux from Linux

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 09:13:56 MST 2005

I always have my trusty Gentoo install CD available for these
occasions.  Knoppix essentially without that annoying X/Window.  You
can set the root partition to boot from at the prompt, also... so
basically you'd be just booting the kernel off the cd and that's it.

On 9/13/05, Eric Shubes <plug at shubes.net> wrote:

> I'd definitely go this route and tailor XP boot loader to load Linux
> (haven't seen that one done yet). Good find (or memory ;) ), Dennis.
>
> FWIW, Fedora (and I presume CentOS) has a rescue option on the install
> disks which finds a linux partition and can boot to it. I don't know how
> well (if) it works across distros though, and I wouldn't want to use it
> regularly.
> --
> -Eric 'shubes'
> "There is no such thing as the People;
>   it is a collectivist myth.
>   There are only individual citizens
>   with individual wills
>   and individual purposes."
> -William E. Simon (1927-2000),
>      Secretary of the Treasury (1974-1977)
>   "A Time For Truth" (1978), pg. 237

-----
There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a
vacuum. -- Arthur C. Clarke